headerphoto

Good news and sad news

Last night I was able to complete my first paper of the semester in 2.5 hours, and this morning I did some editing before heading into work. I have been thinking about what to write for a week, which helped when I sat down to actually type. I think it went okay, but we'll see when grades are returned.

So here's my sad news... I was in a situation tonight where I felt a bit of rejection. I was actually impressed with how I handled it, and it is clear that I am growing in this area. It had been mentioned a few weeks ago that I was being invited to be part of a particular group of classmates for working on our final project. Nothing was set in stone, but the inviter hadn't clued me in to any changes in plans. I had been asked by someone else to be in their group, but I told them of my previous plans and asked that they keep me in mind, but not wait.

Well, being swamped with job hunting, I neglected to check on my original plans, and tonight it became obvious (in a non-spoken, middle school kind of way) that I was not welcome in the original group. I have my theories as to why, but as I am learning in class, it is never a good idea to assume that I know the interests of others...

So here's my plan: I need to at least touch base with the inviter to make sure we are okay. And even if things aren't okay, I will find a way to deal with it. Ultimately, I don't feel I did anything to provoke harsh feelings, so hopefully there aren't any problems. I just hate leaving the giant pink elephant in the corner with no one to acknowledge him...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure you'll do well on your paper - you always do!

Unknown said...

That was me - Allison. Not really Isaac. I forgot to check who we were signed in as.

ella peterson said...

good luck with talking to your classmate. i had to confront a coworker (almost dealing with the exact thing actually) on monday. it was awful to go through but it worked out wonderful in the end! i'll be praying that you have all the words you need when the time comes