headerphoto

I'm an ENFP! What's your type?

Go to http://www.personalitytype.com/quiz.asp for a very short "quiz" to help estimate your Myers-Briggs type. (Disclaimer: I am not a trained professional, and this quiz will not solve all of your problems, so no complaining if you take it.) If you'd like, feel free to comment on this post and let me know where you land.

*******Update: I am now a trained professional (as of December 2007), and this short version is still not the real thing. If you want an accurate understanding of your type, contact me or another trained professional for assistance. :-)

*******Update #2, April 30th, 2009:

I have gone back and forth with this for a while. I took the MBTI at some point in 2005, and I think my answers showed up as ESFP. Of course, I was still in Engineering, and I wasn't very sure of who I really was. Thus started my journey of self-reflection.

A year later (fall of 2006), I took it again, this time the computerized version. I think I answered the questions as an ENFP this time, though I wasn't very clear on S vs. N yet.

So, time passed, I left engineering, and I had a chance to go through the training program to be certified to give the MBTI to others. This time I was a bit more confident about being an ENFP, but I wanted to dig deeper to be certain. (For those of you who know MBTI, you may see a theme emerging here.) I needed to know once and for all about S or N. The instructor suggested that it might not be about the S or N at all, but it might be a question of J vs. P. At the time, that seemed to jive with me pretty well, so ENFJ became my understanding.

Then, in the Spring of 2009 (a.k.a right now), I had an opportunity to take the MBTI Step II. I really wanted to confirm whether there were any strong "out-of-preference" facets that were trowing off my whole understanding. Lo and behold, there were. After answering the questions as honestly as I could and seeing the results of my Step II assessment, I have realized that I am an ENFP, but I am strongly out of preference in two "J" ways: I am Methodical, and I am Planful. But, being the "P" that I am, I do hold loosely to these facets.

Yay! I feel very comfortable now understanding myself to be a Planful, Methodical ENFP. Now, let's hope I can just grow in this understanding rather than waffling to something else again next year. But, knowing who I am, I wouldn't put it past myself to do so. :-)

4 comments:

ella peterson said...

ESTP:

People of this type tend to be: active, adventurous, and impulsive; talkative and curious; casual, adaptive, and free spirited; logical and calm but capable of great humor, fun, and charm; observant and totally present in the moment, literal and practical.

The most important thing to ESTPs is the freedom to have fun and to fully experience life in the here and now.

i'm not really sure that i would consider myself the adventurous type but oh well... it's definitely close

Allison said...

I think I'm an ESFJ. This is the first time I've ever picked extrovert for myself, as I was pretty evenly split betweent he two descriptions. I think I act as an extrovert but get my energy from being alone or with Isaac.

Jennifer C. said...

So I made Matt think about where he would fall. He came up with ISTJ - My polar opposite. Although I have some ESFP leanings, and ESFPs are supposed to be a good match for ISTJs...

Jennifer C. said...

Correction: This last fall, I discovered that I am an ENFJ. I have changed my original blog entry to reflect this change from ENFP to ENFJ.